2015 Convention Volunteer Job Descriptions
The following volunteer opportunities at the AFHE Convention may be filled by qualified adults (homeschooling parents, graduated homeschool parents, or homeschool grads). All volunteers should plan on arriving at assigned positions at least 10 minutes before you are scheduled to serve to receive instructions. If you are bringing your children with you to the convention, please make arrangements with your spouse or a friend to care for them during the hours you are scheduled to volunteer.
Registration volunteers assist convention attendees with on-site registration, working under the direction of the On-Site Registration Coordinators, and are responsible for the following:
- Process on-site registrations (detailed instructions will be provided at the convention).
- Hand out goody bags, convention programs, and name badges.
- Direct any questions, issues that need to be resolved, membership inquiries, etc. to the On-Site Registration Coordinator.
Workshop hosts are staffed in each general session workshop room during the convention. General session workshops will have one workshop host per room. The Christian Teen program will have several adults serving as hosts and assistants. The ballroom will have three workshop hosts during the morning keynote and two hosts the rest of the day. Each workshop room will have a clipboard for the workshop host that will include a detailed checklist for you to follow. Workshop hosts should arrive at the workshop room 15 minutes before the workshop is to start. Workshop hosts are responsible for the following:
- Greet attendees, help them find seats, encourage them to move in as the room fills.
- Close the doors once the session has begun and most people have made it into the room.
- Make brief opening announcements at the start of each session (script is provided).
- About 30 minutes into the workshop, count the number of people in the room and record attendance on the workshop host checklist.
- Be attentive and available throughout the workshop in the event the speaker needs something during their session.
- Facilitate successful recording of the workshop by kindly and thoughtfully asking parents with fussy/noisy babies/children or individuals talking on their cell phone to step out into the hall.
- Workshop hosts will hold up time cards for the speaker during the last 10 minutes of the session to let the speaker know how much time they have left (time card signs will be provided).
- In regular workshop rooms, workshop hosts will sit in a designated chair in the back of the room. In the ballroom, one workshop host will sit in the front row to hold up time cards for the speaker and the other will sit in a chair towards the back on the side by the ballroom doors.
- Turn in the completed workshop host checklist to the Volunteer Coordinator immediately following the workshop. NOTE: Name badges are required for access to all areas of the convention, including the workshops. If a workshop host notices someone without a name badge, please direct them to Registration in the lobby to register and obtain a name badge. (We will have a few volunteers in the hallways helping check for badges as attendees head into workshops.)
SPEAKER BOOTH HOSTS
All booths in the exhibit hall must be staffed from 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM Friday and 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM Saturday. AFHE provides volunteers to staff speaker booths while they are speaking and during lunch. Responsibilities include:
- Booth hosts make it possible for speakers to focus on teaching their workshops while their booth is being manned.
- Booth hosts may be responsible for selling the speaker's products or may be instructed by the speaker or speaker's assistant to simply staff the booth until the speaker returns from their workshop.
- Booth hosts do not need to have all of the answers.Your primary responsibility is to make sure the speaker's booth is not left unattended.
- Some speakers travel with their spouse or an assistant, others do not. You may or may not be staffing the speaker's booth alone. At times booth hosts may be assisting the speakers themselves when the speaker is not teaching a workshop.
- If the speaker or speaker's spouse or assistant is in the booth while you are serving, you are welcome to chat with them if the opportunity arises during a lull in the action. However, we ask that you remember that you are there to serve and assist the speaker, making it possible for them to talk to and assist attendees who approach their booth. Booth hosts are there to serve, not to monopolize the speaker's time. Convention attendees outside of the booth should have priority in asking questions of the speaker.
- Booth hosts should remain at the speaker booth they are assigned to until the next booth host has arrived and you have given them all of the instructions the speaker has left for his/her booth, or earlier if you are released by the speaker or speaker's spouse or assistant.
Greeters are needed Friday and Saturday mornings to welcome and direct attendees as they arrive at the Convention Center. Greeters must be friendly and also bold, able to respond with grace under pressure during a very busy, hectic time of day. Greeters will be stationed near the entrance of each lobby to welcome attendees, ask whether they are pre-registered, and direct them to the appropriate spot to check in.
NAME BADGE CHECKERS
Name badges are required for access to all areas of the convention, including the workshops. A few volunteers will be stationed at stategic positions in the workshop hallways to assist in making sure all attendees (adults and children ages 3 and older) are wearing name badges. These volunteers must have a friendly demeanor with a heart for service who are also bold enough to assist those who are not wearing a name badge and direct them to Registration to register and obtain a badge.
- Receive and file bidding numbers from attendees who wish to participate
- Monitor bidding, answer questions, keep tables tidy, watch over the silent auction items
- At 1:25 PM Saturday, quickly go around and highlight the winning bidder on each bid sheet.
- From 1:25-2:30 PM Saturday, organize items, grouping together items whose winning bidder is the same.
- From 2:35-6:00 PM ring up winning bidders, collect payment, and give them the items they purchased.
- 5:30 PM call any winning bidders who have not yet picked up their items. At 6:00 PM, start calling the second winning bidder on the list for unclaimed items.
Friday and Saturday mornings during the keynote, we will need three or four adults who will be stationed at key spots in the ballroom to help attendees find seats and get settled for the keynote. At least two of the ushers should be men. Ushers must be friendly and also bold enough to deal with any challenges that arise in a calm, confident manner. Ushers will also assist the workshop hosts in addressing noisy/fussy babies/children by kindly and thoughtfully asking them to step out into the lobby until their child has quieted to assist with recording quality and also not to be a distraction to those around them.
We have two professional photographer that has volunteered to serve again as AFHE's primary photographer for this year's convention. We are looking for one or two additional experienced photographers with quality camera equipment to take pictures and help us in capturing moments at the convention ... workshops, attendees, exhibit hall, teen program, and speakers that the primary photographer cannot get to.
SILENT AUCTION BOOTH VOLUNTEERS
New at this year's convention, AFHE is hosting a silent auction. Bidding will take place Friday 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM and Saturday 10:00 AM - 1:25 PM. We have an On-Site Silent Auction Coordinator who will oversee the silent auction booth. Volunteers are needed in the Silent Auction booth to handle the following tasks:
EXHIBIT HALL RUNNERS/HELPERS
A few adult volunteers are needed to assist in the exhibit hall, walking the aisle periodically to see if exhibitors need anything, check the exhibitor lounge periodically, assist in the Exhibit Hall Information booth, assist with checking receipts and giving out tickets for the Buy It Here! promotion.